Friday, June 19, 2009

Mia's Last Day of School + Updates

June 5th was officially Mia's last day of school at Childtime. Even though she had only been there since January, it was hard to say goodbye. She was lucky to have such great teachers and I have really seen so much growth in her since she started. But, I am thankful that it is summer and to have some more time with the kids and to not have to rush out the door each morning! Here's Mia on her last day with 2 of her teachers.

Miss Farzana
Miss Julie
In other related school news, I found out toward the end of the year that I would be working in the afternoon for the 2009-2010 school year, so that presented a challenge of what to do with the kids next fall. I knew Cole would be easier than Mia, and as it turns out we are going to be sending him to Mia's old babysitter who is right in the neighborhood, which is awesome.

Mia was more of a challenge, being that she still naps in the afternoon and I definitely wanted her in some type of preschool program (at Childtime, they nap in the afternoon, so she would be missing all the curriculum). After much research and creative scheduling, we have decided that she will be going to an afternoon 3-6 Montessori program, three days a week. The other 2 days she will be watched by Sarah.

We will be doing some creative juggling and trade-offs between the kids, and once Ava turns 3, I will take her to school along with Mia. The school is only about 2 minutes from both Georgetown and Waubonsie, so that is perfect for Cort and I. The bad part is that she will have to transition off her afternoon nap at least 3 days a week, but the good part is that I am excited for her to be in a Montessori program and that it fits my hours perfectly! Cort and I observed the class and it was very impressive. School has been such a positive for Mia in terms of her growth and independence and I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will be the same in the fall.

In other news, I am off for the summer!!!!!!! Cort is off too, but working half-days at Waubonsie for the summer school program. It is great having so much more time now! Come fall though, I will be embarking on a new educational adventure-I will be seeking National Board Certification. I don't think I fully know what I have gotten myself into yet, but I think it will be a great challenge for me and will help my teaching. It's been awhile since I got my Masters, so hopefully it will not be too traumatic to get back in the swing of the extra work! Until then, I am ready to enjoy summer!!!

No comments: