Tuesday, March 4, 2008

20-Week Checkup

Today I had a regular checkup with my OB. The baby's heartrate was 158, they measured my belly for the first time and that was 19 cm, and I am up 5 more pounds (which I was expecting, because boy I can't stop eating!). The only thing of concern were the results of a blood test from a couple weeks ago. Apparently I have some minor issues at this point with my blood's antibodies and antigens that most likely stems from the blood transfusion I had with Mia. The concern is that the antibodies or antigens could attack the baby's red blood cells if they crossed over, causing the baby to become anemic. It's a bit confusing and I am sure I am not explaining it well. From this point on I will have blood tests (indirect Coombs test) the remainder of my pregnancy to monitor this. The good thing is that I am already seeing a high-risk OB for my ultrasounds and having a higher level ultrasound as well. My Dr. said that the Level 2 ultrasound will detect anemia in the baby and since I just had the ultrasound and nothing was noted that is good news. I was not thrilled to hear this news, but the good news is that I am already being monitored closer than most, so I know they will be keeping a close eye on it. I will hopefully find out more when I get today's blood test results back. Next up-the baby's fetal echo in about 2 weeks.

No comments: