Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Mia's First Day of School

Today was Mia's first official day of Montessori preschool. Not that she wasn't in a pre-preschool last year, but this year it just seemed different. First off, she is starting in the Fall. Last year, due to my maternity leave and Cort's paternity leave, she didn't start her center until January. And now she is officially 3-preschool age! :)

I have to say Mia was pretty excited and it seemed like school lived up to her expectations. She is going in the p.m. due to my new work schedule (I work 12-3:30), and she will now be missing a nap 3 days a week. I thought for sure she would be EXHAUSTED when I picked her up, but instead she was a total bundle of excitement, talking a mile-a-minute about her school day. She was so proud to show me some shapes she had traced and asked if we could put them on the refrigerator. Oh, and when I dropped her off the other kids were in line for the water fountain and that was about all it took for her to forget I was there. I had to ask her for a kiss goodbye. :)

Normally when she gets picked up, they will load her in the car but today I walked in to touch base with her teacher. Her teacher said she did great-ate great, went to the bathroom by herself, and played well. Her teacher even told me that when it was time to come in from playing outside Mia told her "It's not time to go in yet." Yep, that's Mia-not so shy I guess. :) On the car ride home I asked her if she liked her teacher and her response was "Yep!" Then a couple seconds later she added "A lot!"

It is so hard to accept my little girl is growing up, but I am proud of what an independent girl she is! Here are some obligatory first day photos....


Mia picked out this dress to wear for her first day (Thanks Grammy!)


Proud to have her backpack

In front of her school
And here is a picture of her in her classroom from her orientation-working with the dropper and her fine motor skills

2 comments:

Katie said...

So glad she had a great day. Her little dress is adorable and she really looks like a school girl with her backpack!

Pam said...

That brought a tear to my eye...how fast she is growing up...I remember just watching her sleep in her crib in that snuggle me thing that looks like a straight jacket :)