Sunday, July 13, 2008

Change of Plans....

Well, first off, I am still here. I made it to 39 weeks (plus one day!). Who would have thought. I WAS scheduled to have my c-section tomorrow. Yes, that reads WAS. Tomorrow was supposed to be the big day, but due to the blood bank having difficulty finding a match to my blood, it has been postponed until either Tuesday or Wednesday (most likely). I am not so thrilled obviously, but what can you do???

Basically when I had Mia and had to get a blood transfusion, they matched my blood type. But there can be other proteins on the blood cells which the body sometimes reacts to. My blood reacted to the donated blood by making antibodies. Of course the one my body chose to produce is very unusual and rare. So now when they try to find the blood to match mine, it is more difficult. I know it doesn't make a lot of sense, but the bottom line is, I have to wait a little longer until the blood bank can further type my blood and get a good match. If you are wondering why they have to have blood, I guess it is standard protocol with c-sections (or any other surgery I would assume) to have blood on hand if needed.

The irony is that they feel like there is a very small chance I would need to have a blood transfusion again. But they cannot have me go into elective surgery (which technically I don't need yet) without having blood on hand. Now if I go into labor on my own, I will still have a c-section and they would hopefully have the blood in time IF it were even needed (which again, is probably a longshot, and the first time I didn't even get it until a day or two after the c-section). So tomorrow I will go give 5-6 more vials of blood for them to do some further testing on and I should hopefully know by the afternoon when my c-section will be.

We are obviously disappointed (I am calmer now than I was when I got the call at 11:15-less than 24 hours before I was supposed to be at the hospital!!!!), but know this is what we need to do to take the proper precautions. We will just have to wait another couple of days to meet our little guy who will no longer have a July 14th bday! We will keep you updated when we know more....

4 comments:

Our family said...

I know its frustrating but you will meet him very soon:) I just hope its before I go to Mexico!:)

mrs.monica @ RTP_inHeels said...

hang in there girlie! I've been thinking of you and I hope that things get sorted out. I can't wait to get the call that knuckles has arrived.

sarahalexander said...

I'll be thinking about you!! Just think a couple of days and your little boy will be here!! I wish I only had a couple of days left :)

Marina said...

We're thinking about you guys and can't wait to meet baby boy G! Best wishes!