Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Houston, We Have a (Potential) Match!!!

Yay! Things are looking up today in the blood department. My mom and sister went this morning to the blood bank and were both successfully able to donate, which is wonderful. We were a little unsure if Jen would be due to the possibility of her being anemic since she gave birth so recently. But they were ready for my mom and Jen and both their donations went off without a hitch. I am very thankful to have such wonderful family who went out of their way to get this done for us.

While they were there the director told my mom they had located a bag of blood in St. Paul and they were sending it in. Shortly there after I got a call from Dr. Martin saying they had also found another one in Milwaukee. While these are matches, further testing still needs to be done once they are in to further match things up. Apparently blood matching is a very detailed process. :)

I figured that was the end of the news for the day (and I was feeling pretty good about things) since we were pretty much assuming that we wouldn't hear about my mom and Jen's blood until tomorrow. However, Jen got a call early this evening saying that she is also vel negative (the official name to all this craziness). This means that it is very likely I can use the blood she donated if necessary. It needs to go through some further screens like the other blood, but this seems to be good news. As my mom and sister have been saying, we are cautiously optimistic!

After hearing from Dr. Martin, we went ahead and scheduled my c-section (again!!!) for this Thursday at 10:00 a.m. Hopefully the 3rd time is a charm! I asked who would be on that day and he said he would be coming in for it (even though it wasn't his day on for surgery). I am so thankful that he has been looking out for us so much and I feel very happy that he will still be the one doing the surgery. Dr. Weeks will also be assisting him since he is the regular dr. on that day.

Sooooo, pending that everything matches up with blood tomorrow and that Baby Knuckles doesn't choose to make his arrival tonight or tomorrow, Thursday will be the big day!! Even though we may never end up using any of this blood, it is very valuable that Jen and I learned about this blood condition since we will probably both bank some of our blood in the future. Things truly happen for a reason!

Thanks for all the prayers, comments, emails, and phone calls offering to donate or do anything you can. We are very appreciative for all your support!!!

2 comments:

Kristina Young said...

Keeping you in my thoughts.. can't wait to "meet" Baby Knuckles and to find out how Mia does!

Rog & Heather said...

Great news!! We'll be thinking of you and Mr. Knuckles, especially around 10 a.m. Thursday :)