Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Mia's 1st Day of "School"

So yesterday was Mia's first day of "school," and I wasn't quite sure what to anticipate. Mia is pretty outgoing and doesn't seem to have a ton of attachment issues, but you never know what you will get when you are in a new environment with a toddler!

To prepare Mia, we talked up going to school, and she had already been there a couple times when we were doing our tour, dropping off paperwork, etc. She seemed pretty excited that morning, although she was a bit tired after getting out the door early (7:30!!!). We got there and I walked her down to her classroom. Pretty much right away she found an activity (puzzle) and started working on it. After that a teacher brought a group of kids over to look at something and when I tried to say goodbye to her, she barely looked up and acknowledged me! I finally got her attention to say goodbye, blew her a kiss, and left. There were no tears, no drama, nothing! When I came to pick her up she was actually a little upset because she wanted to nap there (the kids that stay all day were getting ready to nap)-too funny! When I talked to her on the way home, she told me that her favorite thing to play with there was "the castle." :)

I have heard from both my mom and the center director that things may get harder once the kids realize this is the new routine, but today again went off without a hitch. I am keeping my fingers crossed that things continue this way!

The only bump in the road the first day was that Mia was a little upset that she spilled some water on her (they use real cups) and wanted a new shirt. :) Mia hates to get stuff on her! She also has been a little picky with the lunch, but I think this is a great opportunity for her to expand her food horizons! I am sad that Mia seems like such a big girl, but also feel so happy that she is in an environment that will help her develop even more socially and academically (as much as you can at 2!). She really just seems so happy and excited.

Of course I had to snap a couple of quick pictures her first day, but be forewarned that they are BAD. I don't know what was going on with my flash, they are a little crazy looking.

Playing with a puzzle
Our big girlThis is what you get when you ask Mia to smile these days :)

1 comment:

mrs.monica @ RTP_inHeels said...

yeah becky...they're horrible (sarcasm!). You always take such lovely pictures. What a big girl she is:) :) Daycare or "school" as we also call it...is great! I know Ty never wants to come home with us either :(