Tuesday, May 6, 2008

29-Week Check-up

Yesterday I had my 29-week check-up. Things are on track and look good. I measured 28 cm (slightly on the small side, I was always like this with Mia), and by some miracle didn't gain any weight this month. I have been consuming mass quantities of ice cream and have gotten what feels like much bigger, so this was a bit surprising. I asked the dr. if I should be concerned that I hadn't gained any weight this month and after looking at my chart she said something like "Well, you gained 10 pounds over the last 2 months, so I think you're fine." :) The baby has been moving a TON lately and my stomach has started doing the crazy alien movement thing. The heartburn has kicked in big time and that is really my only complaint.

Most importantly, the dr. took some time to explain the whole blood issue thing with me. Basically when I had my blood transfusion, even though they can match type, sometimes you also get antigens that don't "get along" with your blood. So in response, my body produced antibodies to fight them off. What can happen though is that sometimes there are too many antibodies, or they can start to attack the baby. Basically, even though I am coming up positive for these antibodies, the blood tests have determined they are not the type that attack fetal tissue. That is a big relief! They are going to continue to monitor the situation though and I had another blood test today that I will get the results of in the next couple of days. They are measuring the titer level (the amount of antibodies I believe) to make sure they don't get too high. At this point, they don't seem overly concerned, so I will try to relax about it too. :)

Here is a picture of me in my full pregnant glory at 29 weeks. The second picture of me is when I was 31 weeks pregnant with Mia (and obviously a whole lot more tan!). I feel like I am a ton bigger this time, but I guess looking at the pictures they are pretty similar??? I'm thinking maybe I look like I'm carrying higher???
29 weeks with Baby Knuckles
31 Weeks pregnant with Mia

3 comments:

Our life as a FAMILY... said...

You look gorgeous!!! I am glad everything went great at the appointment!

sarahalexander said...

You look great! I also think it looks like you are carrying higher this time!

Pam said...

I am getting excited and glad your appointment went well...are you still eating taco bell?

I think you look great in both pics. That's my baby knuckles!!!