Sunday, May 18, 2008

Buh Bye Binky!!

So we finally did it. We pulled the trigger and prepared ourselves for a loooong painful weekend weaning Mia from her pacifier. We had made it so Mia only had her pacifier for sleeping and the car, we were wanting to get rid of it before Baby Knuckles made his appearance. While I would describe the experience as far from perfect, I have to admit it was much less painful than I anticipated. This was a goal I had wanted to reach around the time Mia was 18-months or so, but that was in the middle of my pregnancy yuckies and one experience of Mia screaming the whole way home from the mall convinced me that it wasn't the right time.

But this weekend finally was. We didn't have much going on, nobody watching Mia, we weren't out of town, etc. Friday when I picked up Mia I gave Mia a binky with the end cut off. I had heard if you did that the suction was taken away and they wouldn't be interested. That seemed the case as Mia gave it back to me. By naptime, that attitude had turned to pure annoyance. There was a lot of screaming and drama , but finally with some help from Cort, Mia napped without it. That night Cort had softball and I braced myself for a long, painful evening of shrill crying. Imagine my surprise when Mia went to sleep without a peep!!!! This time I had just completely gotten rid of them (out of sight, out of mind). I also learned that if Mia had Leo her lion, she had a much easier time going to sleep. Leo has been a little ignored lately due to her other stuffed animals, but he is once again a BIG comfort item for her.

This seemed to be the pattern the rest of the weekend. Naps for some reason are a little harder to get her down for, although the crying is very brief. She goes to bed at night without a peep though. Mia is still asking for the binky at times, but we just tend to ignore it and she moves on. There was some general crankiness this weekend, but like I said, it wasn't nearly as bad as I had anticipated it would be.

Tomorrow will be interesting, as there are kids at daycare with pacifiers, so I am hoping that she is able to handle seeing that and not having her own. I am keeping my fingers crossed that by the end of this week we are pretty much back to normal with the sleeping and that the binky is a long-ago memory!

1 comment:

Pam said...

Mia, you rock!! I am so proud of you! Your not like your auntie Pam who sucked her thumb to the 4th grade...