Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Visit to Good Sam

It is hard to believe, but February 22nd marked the 5 year anniversary since my dad passed away unexpectedly.  Time is a strange thing.  Sometimes it feels like it was just yesterday. At other times though when I think of how the kids have grown (Mia was just 6 months at the time and Cole wasn't even born) I realize how long it has been.

Either way, my dad is always on my mind and in our hearts and I see his (mischievous) spirit in my children often.  When the kids are giving me trouble, I often think of how my dad would delight in that, and say I deserved it for all the trouble I gave him.  :)  We do many things to keep his memory alive-talking about him, looking at pictures, doing the American Heart Walk in his memory, etc.  But one really important thing is keeping in touch  and keeping his spirit alive with those he worked with. 

When my dad had patients who were children at Good Sam, he used to give them stuffed animals.  So in his honor, right around the 5 year anniversary of his passing, we visited the hospital with lots of stuffed animals in tow.  We got to visit with his old coworkers in Nuclear Medicine, (thanks for the encouragement to keep up the blog-hello friends!!) who as always welcomed us with open arms. 

After my father passed away, the hospital recognized him with a beautiful bench and plaque under a tree on the campus of the hospital.  We made sure to visit that area and have some time for reflection there as well.  Here are some pictures from that day.

Cole waiting to have his picture taken with the animals
(click pictures to view larger and clearer)
Group shot
Group shot with me
I tried to get a picture of the 4 grandkids on the bench. This was the BEST one I got.  I will try again...
The wonderful plaque for "Big Jer" :)
The branches of the beautiful tree the plaque sits under

The kids gathering acorns, sticks, etc. to leave near the plaque
Jen, Mom, and Me


Thank you to our Good Sam family for always being so welcoming!

(2.20.12)

No comments: